Thursday, April 22, 2010

Happy Earth Day...

So although I'm very political, and very opinionated *insert wry smile here*, I try to stay very mellow on my blog... but today's Earth day and I have something I need to share.

Everywhere I walk throughout my neighborhood, and everywhere I drive across the Cape, I see hundreds of little yellow signs that tell me to keep me, my dog and my child off the grass.

There are 100 million pounds of pesticides used every year on lawns.

I just want to share a couple of facts with you. A child that lives in a household that uses pesticides on their lawn faces an almost 7 times greater risk of leukemia, a dog in that house faces an almost double chance of lymphoma. Of the 36 common lawn pesticides, 14 are detected in groundwater, 6 have the potential to leach, 11 are toxic to birds, 21 are toxic to fish & aquatic organisms and 12 are toxic to bees. My house is the one all the birds hang out at, no wonder really!

One of the scariest to me, is a study done by the EPA which found 23 pesticides in dust and air inside homes, many of which had never even used pesticides on their yards! Another study found 26 different chemicals in the dust and 19 in the air in Cape Cod homes. So although I don't, would never, can't conceive of, using pesticides on my lawn, I bet if we tested the air in my home they would find these toxins because most of my neighbors (who live here 2 months out of the year) do.

I think we should focus more on a green earth than a green lawn.

Do something good for the planet today.

No comments: