Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Aguadilla


oh Aguadilla, how I wish we were there... About 6 years ago my sister & her family and mine rented a villa in Rincon in Puerto Rico for a week... while 'villa' may have been stretching it, the trip was outstanding (except for my nephew's run in with a Man-o-war, but that's a story for another day...) The weather was divine, the setting perfect, and of course having a week with my sister and everyone was fantastic...

So Marla & I took the girls to this tiny beach in Aguadilla for the day (they had a treehouse made in an enormous Banyan tree in the park next to it - so cool...) Shortly after we arrived, Adriana (who was 3 at the time) came over to us with something in her hand, it turned out to be a piece of pottery washed smooth by the sea... Marla & I both being artists, started our search, and it turned out that it was literally take a scoop of sand, scoop out treasure in the form of 'cristal', or seaglass... We were giddy with excitement, 'oh darn, another perfect blue piece'... It was absurd how fantastic it was... of course we had a 3 & 6 year old, who didn't think it was as much fun as we did, so our quest ended much sooner than we'd like! We did what any true seaglass hunters would do, we talked our hubbies into the fact we had to go back, & so we did... Just the 2 of us, purely to collect seaglass! What a fun time we had then too, seaglass, Margaritas & my sister, too good!!

As soon as I got home (years ago now), I started this frame with some of the finds from both of the trips and got as far as gluing down the bottom layer & then put it aside... My art room runs a very fine line to looking like it should be condemned as I tend to save, well everything really, you just never know when you might need something! But New Year's day I decided to make a dent, and this partially created frame appeared... Decided it was time to finally finish the darn thing! so I did. The photo is of Adriana on our first trip in this great little outfit we got her there... there was this beautiful window light, and the kitchen was painted bright yellow, but the bedroom off it was that bright green... begging for a photo series... love photographing children in natural light... also love that chubby baby belly sticking out! Of course, she hated her belly button showing! She wore her outfit with these hysterical shoes, her squeaky shoes, only in Puerto Rico can you buy yellow plastic sandals with a tomato & other fruits with happy little smiling faces on them, that squeak!!!!

Think it is time for another seaglass hunting trip...

3 comments:

Odyssey Sea Glass said...

This pic and a comment would go very nice on our site at Sea Glass Crafts.

You could include a link back to your blog.

Thank you!

Sarah said...

I will post the photo, thanks! I could get lost on your site... oh how I adore seaglass...

Marla Martin said...

Ah, Aguadilla! Such beautiful cristal, such lovely memories! I think it's time to revisit them!
Beautiful musings, Sarah.