Friday, July 31, 2009

With Thanks

Today Marine Corporal Nicholas Xiarhos of Yarmouth will be buried, and I want to send my condolences and thanks to his family. I didn't know Nicholas, but his father protects the town I live in, and his mother has substituted for my daughter at her school. They are a family that is all about community, so it was so lovely to see the community support them. Both Wednesday, when Nicholas' body returned home from Afghanistan, and today, when they had his funeral, the streets were lined with people who cared, my daughter & I (on Wednesday), and just me today, included.

It was a powerful experience to see both hundreds of people, lines of motorcycles from across the Cape and the state, and cars full of marines honoring this young man who died protecting us. Thank you, Nicholas.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

No comments: